Monday, January 16, 2012

Dos Anos

Five years ago I was living in Hurricane at my dad's house and was going to school at Dixie College.  Jack was getting ready to move from Pleasant Grove to  Costa Mesa, California to sell alarm systems for the summer.  He knew a girl back in Orem named Emily and had a crush on her.  Jack and Emily then became friends on Myspace and he wanted her to think that he was in demand or something so Jack started hitting up random girls on Myspace.  On this particular day when Jack hit 'browse' on his myspace homepage, I happened to be on my respective Myspace page at home.  Because I was online, my profile came up as one of the first of thousands.  He clicked for me to 'add' him to my friends.  I noticed that, not only did I not know this kid, but his profile was set to private.  I always ignored requests from strangers.  This time, for whatever reason, I decided to message him.

We messaged back and forth for weeks, then texted, then called.  I don't know what drew me to this guy I had never met, but man was it something.  Did I mention I had a boyfriend at the time?  Whom I had been dating for almost 5 years?  Needless to say, it didn't work out.  I just couldn't get my mind off Jack.

That summer my Buba and I planned to meet. He drove from Cali and I drove from Hurricane and we met for our first date in Vegas.  The first time I laid eyes on him, he was standing in the lobby of the Wynn Hotel.  It was so surreal to see the person connected to the voice I had grown so accustomed to hearing over the phone.  He was nervous as could be and kept staring at me.  He later told me that he had gone to Nordstrom and bought a new shirt and my favorite cologne to wear.  We saw a Cirque du Soleil show, ate at The Cheesecake Factory, and had our first kiss in a casino.  'Cause we're classy like that :)

That fall Jack moved back to Pleasant Grove and I moved to Provo to live with my mom and go to UVSC.  We were inseparable.  Over the next three years we had a lot of ups and downs and more than one break up-including him moving to New York for a Summer.  He knew he wanted to marry me, but I still was unsure.  I liked things just the way they were, and he was fine with that.  He was very patient.  Finally, I decided to serve a mission.  Jack was disappointed, but so supportive and wonderful.  He said he would write every week and whatever happened, happened.  A couple of months before I was to turn in my papers we went and got sno cones.  As I sat in the car and watched him order and then spoon out his grape sno cone, I felt very good about things.  It wasn't thunder and lightning and angels singing.  I just knew that he was the only one I wanted to get sno cones with from then on.  He was my home.  We got engaged a few weeks later.

I can't believe today is only our two-year anniversary.  I feel I've known him forever.  Every heartbreak or stumble before now is meaningless because I have been blessed with someone who takes the utmost greatest care with my heart and feelings, and who makes me laugh hard at least once a day, and whom I will never get enough of.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...