1. If you make a solution with 2 parts water and 1 part white vinegar and spray it on your outside windows, it will get rid of the hard water stains from the sprinklers. Let it sit for a minute or two before wiping it off with a soaking wet rag. My water spots are mostly gone. I think after one more application they will be.
2. (the not-so-exciting-but-still-helpful-discovery) The other night when I had no
3. This recipe. I was not thrilled about giving my daughter the traditional piece of birthday cake on her first birthday (Monday! Holy crap!) to dig into, since she is not used to sugar. I made this whole-wheat applesauce carrot cake as cupcakes for her to have as her birthday treat. I'll spread a homemade whipped cream on top and birthday girl can get her yummy semi-sugar fix. They really are extremely good. I had to keep myself from eating too many so I could freeze the leftovers as muffins for snacks later. I usually don't mess with a recipe the first time I make it so I can see what the consistency and taste are like, but next time I think I'll try substituting the sugar for some honey. Also, my batter was a little dry this time and I had to add a splash of milk after combining the wet with the dry.
Applesauce Carrot Cake
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour (or 2 c. whole wheat)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. grated orange rind
1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. oil
1 c. thick sweetened applesauce
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 lg. grated carrot
Mix sugar with dry ingredients.
- Mix liquid ingredients, including applesauce. Combine. Fold in grated carrot.
- Bake in 9"x9" or 7"x11" pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cut in squares. Serve warm with fat free vanilla ice cream or ice with your favorite frosting.